Farm Jeep
1949 Willys Jeep CJ-3A:
Project "Ole Blue"
Part 11 Another uplifting experience



































Our plan all along had been to move the 3-point lift from the 2a and install it on the 3a. With the body at the paint shop, the time was right. While the Newgren lift was designed as an aftermarket installation it isn’t something you want to do often. We have gotten pretty good at installing and uninstalling the lift, using two floor jacks and cribbing. Jacking up the unit, which isn’t especially heavy but awkward to handle, lying on your back, and moving the lift around to allow inserting of the bolts took about 30 minutes. While we could do it faster, but safety is an issue and we value our hands and fingers. With the body off, we could reach through the frame and lift the Newgren in to place. You can actually see how to align the bolt holes and the process took no more than a couple of minutes. The installation will never be this easy again.

Pumps, pumps everywhere
We now have a collection of hydraulic pumps, including 12 volt models and two versions of Monarch belt driven “hi-lo” jeep pumps. The latter two were sent off for seal replacement. We continue our search for an original Newgren crankshaft driven pump. In the meantime, a NOS (new-old-stock) Monroe pump appeared on e-bay. We broke open our piggy banks and won the auction!

While we don’t know if the marriage (Newgren lift with a Monroe pump) is historically accurate, we are hoping they are the combination we have been seeking. We are having custom hydraulic lines built that will run from the front of the engine to lift.

Pulleying my leg
Barry has had experience with crank driven pumps before, on older tractors he has owned. When the new pump arrived, he went in search of the appropriate “coupler” (sometimes referred to as a “lovejoy coupling”) to mate the pump shaft to the crankshaft. His internet searching didn’t turn up a ready solution. He finally remembered that he had purchased a reproduction of a Monroe lift parts manual. A quick check showed that a special pulley – made with tabs – was required and the Willys part number was listed as well.

Off in search of another special part. However, a quick note to the G503 board yielded a very pleasant surprise. The part number shown in the manual was the standard equipment pulley from early in the 2a production period on and was readily available. Our engine was an older model and had a flat pulley face. Barry did a quick check of the 2a and sure enough, it had the correct pulley with the three prongs. A new pulley was ordered and installed.

On a historical note, Willys must have had plans for a number of crankshaft driven devices or assumed that the addition of a hydraulic pump would be a common option. This might warrant some more research.

Exhaustive research
A requirement of a Newgren installation is the relocation of the muffler, from under the bed to a driver’s side location. We had made this change on the 2a, following the instructions on the original Newgren installation documents. The cut we made placed the “hump” in the pipe in front of the rear axle. The 2a’s exhaust pipe is banged up and crushed where it passes over the axle. We choose to do our own measurements this time.

We also moved the rear hanger and we hope this arrangement will prove more durable.

A miraculous mounting
The body parts were painted within a week after we had dropped them off and had been parked on a trailer in the barn. While we worked to complete body-off projects, we couldn’t wait to get the tub on the frame and to start the final reassembly. By now, we have some experience in removing and installing tubs. The first tub removal involved my old tractor with a front-end loader. We weren’t all that careful and just lifted it off.

When we installed the new tub for the initial “fitting”, we rigged a pulley system in the garage. It was not an easy process and involved lots of lifting, pulling and tugging. Also, when we removed the tub for painting, we scratched some paint on the steering column. We wanted to be more careful with our freshly painted tub. So an improved mounting method was needed.

Many of the restorations we had read about suggested four or five strong bodies could place the tub without much difficulty. Timing was an issue and when we were ready to mount the tub, we had three bodies and a dog available. Evan had been working on a web sling design, using the tractor again. It would allow us to easily tip and tilt the body while it was suspended above the frame.

Barry’s late spring project had been to weld a 3 point hitch attachment to a quick attach plate for his front end loader. He exchanged the front bucket for the 3 point hitch and added a boom pole, to create a hydraulic lift that would allow the tub to “float” above the frame.

Evan and Barry unloaded the tub from the trailer and placed it on a ground cloth. Evan fashioned his web sling and hooked it to the boom pole. A test lift proved it was a good concept and we decided to give it a try.

With Barry operating the tractor and Evan adjusted the tilt of the body (made easy by the sling) and Paula steadied the front. Winnie (the dog) wasn’t needed and just guarded his soccer ball. The tractor held the weight of the tub and allowed for a very slow lowering as Evan made sure of the initial alignment.

Once the steering column was inside the body, Evan pushed the frame back as the tub was lowered. When the shift levers entered the opening, the tub was gently lowered until it rested on the frame. Success!


Next up

A rebolting development

Barry's notes:

Evan's notes:





Farm Jeep Home | Previous Part | Next Part

Last updated: 10/15/2008

Copyright 2008