Farm Jeep is coming out of its winter hibernation. With the garage doors opened we changed the coil on the stand engine, to prepare it for the 12 volt 3a. After a test start, we removed the engine from the stand and will prepare it for the exchange. That means removing the face plate, which is a 2a style, and replacing it with 3a face plate.
Too much of a bling thing..
Getting the 3a to be street legal was a year-long struggle. Among the requirements was working wipers. The easiest fix was to install two “universal”12 volt wiper motors. This project was chronicled in an earlier post. Somehow, those chromed motors stuck out like a sore thumb on the windshield. There had to be something better.
Original windshield equipment included a vacuum wiper motor on the driver’s side and a manual “hand” wiper on the passenger side. Using a vacuum motor would mean changing the fuel pump (to power the motor) and might be a future change. For now, we are going to use a painted motor with a built-in switch.
An original hand wiper appeared on e-bay and we purchased it with the idea of restoring it. However, it was too far gone and a reproduction was our only option. The reproduction is for the 2a, with the shorter, split windshield. It is 2″ too short to work on the 3a. A 2″ section of rod was welded in the middle to make it the proper length. We need to find a grommet to finish mounting the wiper.
Ahead is an engine exchange and maybe a wiring re-route to accommodate the governor cable.